The deadline to register vote in Rhode Island is: Postmarked 30 days before the election. You may register in person on Election Day, but only for Presidential elections.
To register to vote in Rhode Island, you must be:
- A legal resident of Rhode Island
- A citizen of the United States
- At least 18 years of age on or before Election Day
- Your voter registration form must be dropped off or postmarked by the deadline.
Register to vote now!
To check the status of your voter registration, click here.
When can I vote in Rhode Island?
Early Voting InformationIn-person early voting available? No
By mail early voting available? Yes
There is not an option to vote early in person in Rhode Island, but the state does allow no excuse mail ballot voting. So if you are a registered voter, and will not be able to get to the polls on Election Day, you can fill out a mail ballot application. The deadline to request a full ballot is 21 days before the election, and the deadline to request a ballot that includes only the presidential election is 7 days before the election. Identification is not required to vote by mail ballot.
Mail ballot applications must be filled out completely and returned to the State Board of Elections (50 Branch Avenue; Providence, RI 02904) by 9:00pm on Election Day. Please note that the application has to be physically at the local board by 4:00 P.M. on the deadline. Postmarked applications received after the deadline will not be accepted.
Voting Hours on Election DayThe polls are open from:
All polls close at 8:00pm on Election Day, but they open at various times.
Please contact your state election office for additional voting information, or click here to learn more about voting absentee in your state.
What do you need to bring?
Beginning in 2012, all voters will be asked to present valid ID prior to voting. See a list of acceptable identification below.
- RI Driver's License
- RI Voter ID Card*
- U.S. Passport
- ID issued by a U.S. educational institution
- U.S. military ID
- ID card issued by the United States or the State of Rhode Island
- Government issued medical card
- Employee ID card
- ID issued by a commercial establishment
- Credit card or debit card containing a photo
- Health club ID card
- Insurance plan identification card
- Public Housing Identification card
- Birth certificate
- Social Security card
- Government-issued medical card
For more information, contact your state election office.