The deadline to register vote in Maryland is: Postmarked 21 days before the election.
To register to vote, you must be a U.S. citizen, a Maryland resident, and at least 16 years old.*
You cannot have been convicted of buying or selling votes, found by a court to be incapable of voting by reason of mental illness, convicted of a felony or if you have, you have completed a court-ordered sentence of imprisonment, including any term of parole or probation for the conviction.
*You may register to vote if you are at least 16 years old, but cannot vote unless you will be at at least 18 years old by the next general election.
Register to vote now!
To check the status of your voter registration, click here.
When can I vote in Maryland?
Early Voting InformationIn-person early voting available? Yes
By mail early voting available? Yes
Early Voting Centers will be open the second Saturday before an election and ends the Thursday before an election. Click here to find early voting locations.
Any registered voter may also vote by absentee ballot. Your request must be received on the Tuesday before the election by 8:00 pm if by mail or in person OR by 11:59pm if you fax or email the request. Your ballot must be recieved by your local board of elections by 8:00pm on Election Day. If returned by mail, your ballot must be mailed on or before Election Day and received by your 10:00am on November 16. For more information, please click here.
Voting Hours on Election DayThe polls are open from:
7:00am to 8:00pm
Please contact your state election office for additional voting information, or click here to learn more about voting absentee in your state.
What do you need to bring?
You will be asked to provide identification if:
- You are voting for the first time in Maryland;
- You registered to vote by mail on or after January 1, 2003; or
- You have not previously met the identification requirements of the federal Help America Vote Act.
You can satisfy the identification requirement by providing, at the polls, one of the following:
- Your driver's license number, MVA-issued ID card number or at least the last four digits of your social security number
- A copy of a current and valid photo ID (i.e., Maryland driver's license, MVA-issued ID card, student, employee, or military ID card, U.S. passport, or any other State or federal government-issued ID card); or
- A copy of a current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck or other government document that shows your name and address.
For more information, contact your state election office.