As the largest, most diverse generation in our country’s history, young people have more power than ever to decide our future. It’s Rock the Vote’s mission to ensure they exercise that power by participating in the democratic process and we need your help.
Rock the Vote is seeking smart, energetic, passionate and enthusiastic undergraduate or graduate students to join our team as Resident Rockstars (our name for interns) for summer 2017. Whether you want to sharpen your graphic design skills or dig into researching voting rights, you will gain invaluable experience. Depending on your skill set some sample responsibilities may include:
- Supporting our development program, including researching foundations and assisting with grant reporting
- Managing constituency communications, including fielding questions about registration and election deadlines and processes
- Inventorying Rock the Vote’s art assets to maximize content creation and distribution
- Working with local organizations to coordinate voter registration and turnout events
- Managing registration and get-out-the-vote booths
- Assisting to develop creative activations for bus tour, toolkits, and campus engagement
- Drafting press releases, statements, emails, fact sheets and press kit materials
- Supporting media set-up for events, including the bus tour and conventions
- Researching and compile daily news clips
- Assisting with data collection and verification
- Tracking state voting legislation, ballot initiatives, decisions, and pending court cases
- Representing Rock the Vote at various briefings, coalition meetings and events
- Blogging about Rock the Vote updates, events, and youth-related political issues
- Researching strategic partners for tool marketing and research partner tools for needed improvements
- Assisting managing social media channels such as Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube
- Creating skins for our voter registration tool and graphics for our social media channels, campaigns, and marketing materials
- Modifying the website and create descriptive and creative ads to improve our SEO
Resident Rockstars are expected to work 30 hours a week and commit to working for ten weeks of the summer. This is a paid internship.
Rock the Vote is no longer accepting applications. Please check back later.
Our ideal candidate is a top performer who brings high levels of energy and enthusiasm; works well independently and with diverse teams, and has a demonstrated ability to take initiative and lead projects.
To be considered, applicants must:
- Have strong critical thinking skills and attention to detail
- Be a self-starter who is able to collaborate actively with others team members
- Prioritize and manage work, adhering to critical project timelines in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrate leadership and achievement in academic, professional, extracurricular or volunteer settings
- Possess the ability to work effectively with diverse team members and communities
- Be good humored, independent, flexible and mature (creativity helps too!)
- Have the ability to multi-task; detail-oriented; fast learner; well organized.
- Have an affinity for politics, particularly youth civic engagement.
- Be excited about our mission and goals and are able to put them into practice
We are so excited for you to join us so let’s get started! Please email a cover letter, resume, writing sample, two or three references, and answers to the questions below to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please enter 2016 Fall Resident Rockstar in the subject line.
Questions for Resident Rockstar Applicants
- What issues are you most passionate about?
- Please list your top 3 relevant experiences connected to leadership, civic engagement, youth voter turn-out, and/or nonprofit work.
- Tell us the story of voting in your first election. Haven't voted yet? Tell us what you're looking forward to when you vote for the first time.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of the organization will be considered applicants and receive responses from Rock the Vote.
Rock the Vote is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are looking for a diverse applicant pool and strongly encourage women, persons of color, persons with disabilities, immigrants, members of the LGBTQ community, and students from low-income and working class backgrounds to apply.