Intern at Rock the Vote
Job Description: Internships working concurrently with the Communications, Marketing, Development, Digital, Field, and Political Departments
Founded over twenty years ago in response to a wave of attacks on freedom of speech and artistic expression, Rock the Vote quickly established itself as the premier organization representing the intersection of young people, politics, and popular culture.
Whether it's Madonna wrapping herself in the flag for the first Rock the Vote PSA , or Snoop Dogg launching our bus tour in 2004, Rock the Vote works with artists who really believe in and promote our mission. Since our inception, Rock the Vote has run innovative and successful voter registration and education efforts.
Our campaigns build on best practices from our 20-year history, and expands our impact and reach, especially amongst young Black, Hispanic, and Native American voters. Nearly 23 million young people ages 18-29 cast a ballot in November 2012, many for the first time. The opportunity to keep these young people engaged and build on this momentum is one that cannot be passed up. We must continue to fuel the creation of a more engaged and diverse citizenry that is involved in their communities and determining their own futures.
With a clear direction and an engaged - and growing - youth constituency, this is a great time to work at Rock the Vote. And we are eager to work with young leaders like yourself interested in this work.
- Working with our Community Street Teams to coordinate voter registration and get-out-the-vote booths at concerts, music festivals, and various other events
- Supporting the state and local outreach effort for the spring Democracy Class programming
- Researching corporate and foundation fundraising opportunities
- Drafting reports and other materials for donors, and key partners
- Assisting with Rock the Vote’s social media channels such as Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, YouTube, etc.
- Drafting media lists, PR pitch letters, fact sheets and press kit materials
- Researching and compiling daily news clips and tracking state voting legislation
- Representing Rock the Vote at various conferences, briefings, coalition meetings and events
- Blogging about Rock the Vote updates, events, and youth related political issues
A competitive candidate for the position will have:
- Experience in a non-profit and/or political landscape
- An ability to work very closely with other members of the team and also to manage your own work independently
- An affinity for politics, particularly youth civic engagement
- A little flexibility and a sense of humor
This internship is unpaid and based in Washington, DC.
Click here to apply.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
Rock the Vote is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any applicant or employee on the basis of national or ethnic origin, religion, sex, age, handicap, pregnancy, sexual orientation, or veteran status.