Alabama Elections

Get all the info you need

Your State

Voting Rights


Some could have trouble getting Wisconsin voter ID near election
08/31/16 |
Publication Date: 
Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 01:30

When people go to the DMV for driver's licenses or IDs, they typically get temporary documents they can use for voting in the office and their licenses or IDs through the mail. But people who do not have birth certificates or other identity documents get their temporary voting credentials through the mail instead of over the DMV counter.

[Wisconsin Elections Commissioner Ann] Jacobs raised concerns about voters who don't have identity documents who may not know they need IDs to vote until they get to the polls on Nov. 8. Those voters can cast provisional ballots, but those ballots will not be counted unless the voters show election clerks IDs by the Friday after the election.

Such a voter could go to the DMV on election day or soon afterward, but might not get his or her ID by the Friday after the election if the DMV sticks with the process it has been using, Jacobs said.

But DMV spokeswoman Patty Mayers said late Tuesday any voting credentials that need to be mailed during the week of an election would be sent by overnight mail.

Missouri: Freedom Summer ’16
08/31/16 |
Publication Date: 
Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 07:45

On November 8, Missourians will head to the polls to elect the president and a host of statewide officials in a deeply divided state. But this time, they will also be asked — in language that some have described as confusing — whether they want to amend their constitution to open the door to stricter voting laws. If passed, Amendment Six would give a second chance to HB 1631, which was vetoed earlier this summer by Gov. Jay Nixon after passing both state House and Senate. The proposed law aims to limit the forms of ID accepted at the polls to valid Missouri or federal IDs with photos and expiration dates — excluding currently accepted documents like college IDs, driver’s licenses from other states, expired IDs, voter registration cards, and utility bills. Voters without the required ID could sign a sworn statement affirming their identity and recognizing that such ID is “the law of the land” or they could cast a provisional ballot, not valid until they prove their identity. ...

Most commonly, obtaining a photo ID requires a certified birth certificate, which many black and elderly voters do not possess, especially if they were born in the South at a time when most African-Americans were not welcome in hospitals and gave birth at home, said Denise Lieberman, a senior attorney at the Advancement Project’s Voter Registration Program, who has led successful efforts to repeal North Carolina’s voter ID law and has fought Missouri’s version of that law for years. Obtaining post-dated birth certificates requires a half dozen other underlying documents, she noted, and any discrepancy in spelling or names can constitute a major roadblock, which especially affects women who changed their names through marriage or divorce, as well as minorities, mostly Latinos, with multiple first and last names.

Trying to obtain a photo ID without the right underlying documentation can be an “exercise in futility,” said Lieberman. “In a number of states, including Missouri, in order to get a copy of your birth certificate — get this — you have to present a photo ID!”

Here Are Your Candidates

Election Reminders

Don't miss any important deadlines.

You Rock!

We'll be in touch and see you at the polls!

OR TEXT "ROCK" TO 788683

Msg & Data Rates May Apply. Text STOP to opt out or HELP for help. Expect 1 to 2 msgs/mo. Privacy Policy

Voting as a Student

As a student, you have a constitutional right to register and vote in the place you truly consider to be “home” — whether that’s your parents’ house, your apartment, or your dorm room. But before you make the important decision about where to vote, make sure you know the voting rules (and sometimes consequences) of registering to vote in that state.

More Info On Student Voting

Alabama Election Info

Upcoming Elections in Your State

2016 General Election: Tuesday, November 8

  • Voter Registration Deadline: October 25

For more information, visit the Alabama Secretary of State website.

Please note that the some information in the sections below has not been updated, and refers to the 2015 general election.

Polling Place Hours

7:00 AM to 7:00 PM local time on Election Day.

Alabama DOES NOT have early voting, but voters who qualify for absentee voting may vote absentee in person at their local Absentee Election Manager (usually the Circuit Clerk).

For more information on absentee voting, visit the Secretary of State's absentee voting information page.

How to Find Your Polling Place

Visit the Alabama Secretary of State Locate Your Polling Place website.

Call 866-OUR-VOTE (866-687-8683)


Already registered? Verify your voter registration status.

Registration Deadlines

You must register 14 days prior to the General Election.  You must register at least 11 days before Primary and Municipal elections.

How to Check Your Registration

Call 1-866-OUR-VOTE, contact your County Elections Official, or use Alabama’s Registrant Search website.

How to Register

Alabama residents may register in person or by mail.

In Person

You may register to vote in person in any of the following ways:

  • When applying for or renewing your driver’s license or State Identification Card;
  • At state or local government offices when applying or recertifying for Aid to Dependent Children, SNAP, TANF, Food Stamps, WIC, Medicaid, or Rehabilitation Services;
  • At public libraries;
  • At armed forces recruiting stations; or
  • At the Board of Registrars located at the county seat in your county of residence.

By Mail

In order to register by mail, you must obtain a mail-in registration form by:

  • Picking up a form at Probate Judge and License Commissioner offices, colleges and universities, public schools, or libraries;
  • Requesting a form by contacting the county Board of Registrars or the Elections Division in the Secretary of State’s office (1-800-274-8683); or
  • Downloading a mail-in form from the Secretary of State’s website.

Registration Eligibility

In order to be eligible to register in Alabama, you must:

  • Be a citizen of the United States;
  • Reside in Alabama;
  • Be at least 18 years old on or before Election Day;
  • Not be barred from voting due to a disqualifying felony conviction; and
  • Not have been declared mentally incompetent by a court.

There is no duration of residence requirement in Alabama; you may register the first day that you move to the state.

Identification Required for Registration

No.  Voters may register by mail without identification, but they must provide a form of identification from the list below (under Identification Requirements) when they come to the voting polls or with their absentee ballot.  Even if you do include a copy of photo 

If You Want to Vote Early

Alabama does not have early voting, but voters who qualify for absentee voting may vote absentee in person at their local Absentee Election Manager (usually the Circuit Clerk).

For more information on absentee voting, visit the Secretary of State's absentee voting information page.

If You Want to Vote Absentee

A voter may cast an absentee ballot if he or she:

  • Will be absent from the county on Election Day;
  • Is ill or has a physical infirmity  that prevents a trip to the polling place;
  • Is a registered Alabama voter living outside the county;
  • Is an appointed election officer or poll watcher at a polling place other than his or her regular polling place; or
  • Works a required shift, 10 hours or more, that coincides with polling hours.

BUSINESS/MEDICAL EMERGENCY VOTING applications can be made after the absentee deadline but no later than 5 PM on the day before the election, if the voter:

  • Is required by an employer under unforeseen circumstances to be out of the county on election day for an emergency business trip, or
  • Has a medical emergency requiring treatment from a licensed physician within 5 days of the election.

Rules and Deadlines:

  • An absentee ballot application must be turned in no later than the fifth calendar day before the election.
  • An absentee ballot must be postmarked or hand-delivered by no later than 5 p.m. on the day prior to Election Day. If mailed, the absentee ballot must be received by the Absentee Ballot Election Manager no later than noon on Election Day

Identification Required for Registration

No.  Voters may register by mail without identification, but they must provide a form of identification from the list below (under Identification Requirements) when they come to the voting polls or with their absentee ballot.  Even if you do include a copy of photo ID with your registration application, you must present ID each time you cast a ballot.

Identification Requirements to Cast a Ballot

*New Alabama Law on Voter ID – Effective for the first statewide primary of 2014*

Valid forms of ID are:

  • Valid Alabama driver's license or non-driver ID card;
  • Valid Alabama photo voter ID card;
  • Valid state-issued ID (from Alabama or another state);
  • Valid federal-issued ID;
  • Valid U.S. passport;
  • Valid employee ID from the Federal Government, State of Alabama, County, Municipality, Board or other Alabama entity;
  • Valid student or employee ID card issued by a college or university in the state, provided it includes a photo;
  • Valid student or employee ID issued by a state institution of higher learning in any other state;
  • Valid U.S. military ID card containing a photo; and
  • Valid tribal ID card containing a photo.

Without one of these forms of identification, a voter is permitted to:

  • Vote a challenged or provisional ballot, or
  • Vote, if he or she is identified as a voter on the poll list who is eligible to vote by two poll workers and both poll workers sign the voting sign-in register by the voter's name.

There are two primary exceptions to the photo identification requirement:

  • A voter who is a member of the military or who resides overseas eligible to vote by absentee ballot pursuant to the Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act (UOCAVA) is not required to provide ID when voting an absentee ballot, and
  • A voter who is entitled to vote by absentee ballot pursuant to the Voting Accessibility for the Elderly and Handicapped Act or any other federal law shall not be required to produce identification when voting by absentee ballot.

Moving within the Same County

Voters should notify the Board of Registrars of any change of address.  This may be done in person at the county Board of Registrars’ office or by mail.  When a registered voter moves within a county on or prior to the day of an election and has not filed a notice of change of residence with the Board of Registrars, he/she may vote by first completing a form to update registration information, which will be available at all polling places on Election Day.

Moving Between Counties

A registered voter who has changed his or her county of residence must register to vote again in the new county of residence.  If a voter who has relocated to another county has not re-registered to vote, that voter will not be permitted to vote in the election. 

Military and other overseas citizens may use the standard procedure for absentee voting by mail, but there are also special provisions for members of the U.S. Armed Forces and merchant marine, commissioned corps of the Public Health Service and National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, along with family members of all these groups, and other citizens who reside outside the United States (together these groups are called UOCAVA voters).

Registering and Requesting an Absentee Ballot

UOCAVA voters can use the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) to register to vote and to request an absentee ballot.  Visit the Federal Voting Assistance Program's (FVAP) Alabama-specific FPCA page or by calling DSN 425-1584.  They may also register to vote and request an absentee ballot through the Alabama Military & Overseas Voting Services website or by calling 1-800-274-VOTE (8683).

Receiving an Absentee Ballot

UOCAVA voters may receive their blank absentee ballots by U.S. Mail or electronic transmission.  To request election transmission of the blank ballot, UOCAVA voters must mark the appropriate box and provide an email address on the State of Alabama “UOCAVA Application for Absentee Ballot” (available here) or on the FPCA (see Alabama-specific FPCA page).  Ballots must be returned via U.S. Mail, commercial carrier, or by hand delivery.

Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot

The Federal Write-in Absentee Ballot (FWAB) is a back-up ballot that can be used by UOCAVA voters.  You can use this FWAB whether you are located inside or outside the United States (including APO and FPO addresses), provided that you are away from your voting residence for service-related activities.  You must apply for a regular ballot early enough for your local election officials to receive the request at least 5 DAYS before the election.  Then if you do not receive your regular ballot in time, you may use the FWAB.  Your FWAB must be received by your local voting officials in Alabama no later than noon on Election Day.  For specific instructions, visit the FVAP's Alabama-specific FWAB page.

An individual who has been convicted of a felony involving moral turpitude may not vote in Alabama until he or she has had his or her voting rights restored by applying for a “Certificate of Eligibility,” or applying for a pardon.  An individual may qualify for a Certificate of Eligibility to vote if he or she has fulfilled all terms of the sentence for the disqualifying felony conviction.  The following crimes are not considered crimes involving “moral turpitude” – aiding/permitting/facilitating a prisoner to escape, doing business without a license, driving under the influence, possession of any drug or controlled substance, simple assault, and violation of liquor laws – and therefore conviction of such should not require a Certificate of Eligibility or a pardon in order to be eligible to vote, but individuals convicted of such crimes should still confirm that they are properly registered (see Alabama’s Registrant Search website).

For more information, or to initiate an application for a Certificate of Eligibility or a pardon, click here or contact the Alabama Board of Pardon & Paroles at 334-242-8700.

**The materials below have not yet been updated since 2014**


Top Issues to Field

For more information for voters with disabilities, visit the National Disability Rights Network’s voting resource center.

For more information for student voters, visit the Alabama Student Voting Guide from the Brennan Center for Justice.

Information provided by Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights

2016 Election Information for your state