The deadline to register vote in South Dakota is: Received 15 days before the election.
In order to register you must:
- reside in SD
- be a US citizen
- be 18 by election day
- not be serving a felony sentence or judged mentally incompetent
Register to vote now!
To check the status of your voter registration, click here.
When can I vote in South Dakota?
Early Voting InformationIn-person early voting available? Yes
By mail early voting available? Yes
If you are unable to attend your polling place in person on Election Day, you may be eligible to vote by absentee ballot - in-person or by mail. To vote by absentee ballot, you must request an absentee ballot application from your County Election Official in advance. Voted ballots must be returned to the County Election Official by close of polls on Election Day. Contact your County Auditor to find out where to return your absentee ballot.
Voting Hours on Election DayThe polls are open from:
7:00am to 7:00pm
Please contact your state election office for additional voting information, or click here to learn more about voting absentee in your state.
What do you need to bring?
All voters will be required to provide identification before voting or obtaining an absentee ballot. The personal identification that may be presented shall either be:
- A South Dakota driver’s license or nondriver identification card;
- A passport or an identification card, including a picture, issued by an agency of the United States government;
- A tribal identification card, including a picture; or
- A current student identification card, including a picture, issued by a high school or an accredited institution of higher education, including a university, college, or technical school, located within the State of South Dakota.
If a voter is not able to present personal identification, the voter may complete an affidavit in lieu of the personal identification.
For more information, contact your state election office.