Montana Election Information

Not your location?

Registration Information

The deadline to register vote in Montana is: Postmarked 30 days before the election. You may also register in person up to, and including, Election Day.

To vote in Montana, you must:

  • Be registered as required by law.
  • Be 18 years old or older on or before the next election.
  • Be a citizen of the United States.
  • Have lived in Montana for at least 30 days.

You cannot vote if:

  • You're a convicted felon serving a sentence in a penal institution.
  • You've been judged in a court of law to be of unsound mind.

Register to vote now!

To check the status of your voter registration, click here.

When can I vote in Montana?

Early Voting Information

In-person early voting available? Yes
By mail early voting available? Yes


Any registered voter may vote early by absentee ballot. 

In Person: You may vote absentee in-person at your county election office - where you can apply for a ballot and vote all at the same time, beginning at least 30 days before the election when ballots are available, and ending at noon on the day before Election Day.
By Mail: Submit an Application for Absentee Ballot to your county election office. The deadline to apply is noon on the day before Election Day.. An absentee voting packet will then be mailed to the address that you indicated on your application (OR you can pick it up at the county election office).  Voted ballots must be returned by close of polls on Election Day.

Voting Hours on Election Day

The polls are open from:

Poll hours vary throughout the state - opening between 7:00 am and 12:00 pm, and closing at 8:00 pm.

Please contact your state election office for additional voting information, or click here to learn more about voting absentee in your state.

Where do I vote?

Find out here.
For more information, contact your state election office.

What do you need to bring?

Before you will be permitted to receive a ballot, you will need to present a current photo ID.

If you do not have a photo ID, you can provide a current utility bill, bank statement, paycheck, voter confirmation notice, government check or other government document that shows your name and current address.

If you do not have any of the items listed above, you can still vote by requesting and filling out a “Polling Place Elector ID” form. Or, you can vote a provisional ballot and provide one of the items listed above. Your provisional ballot will be counted if you provide one of the items on the list to the county election office by 5:00 p.m. the day after the election, or mail it to the county election office postmarked by the day after the election.

For more information, contact your state election office.

Send me Election Reminders

  Sign up below - and we'll send you reminders for important voting dates in your state. We don't want you to miss any of the deadlines or the election!








If you respond and have not already registered, you will receive periodic updates and communications from Rock the Vote, but don't worry, you can always opt-out.

Question - Not Required - Rock the Vote communications:

   Please leave this field empty