The deadline to register vote in Alabama is: Postmarked 11 days before the election.
To qualify to register to vote in Alabama, you must:
- Be a United States Citizen
- Reside in Alabama
- Be at least 18 years old
- Have not been convicted of a disqualifying felony (or have rights restored)
- Have not been legally declared "mentally incompetent" by a court
Register to vote now!
To check the status of your voter registration, click here.
When can I vote in Alabama?
Early Voting InformationIn-person early voting available? No
By mail early voting available? Yes
Alabama does not have early voting, but voters who qualify for absentee voting may vote absentee in person at their local Absentee Election Manager (usually the Circuit Clerk).
You can vote absentee in Alabama if you:
- will be absent from your county on Election Day
- are ill or have a physical disability that prevents a trip to the polls
- are a registered Alabama voter living outside your county, such as a member of the armed forces or a college student
- are an appointed election official or poll watcher at a polling place other than your normal one
- are working a required shift, 10 hours or more, that coincides with polling hours.
Absentee ballots must be requested by mail or in person from your Absentee Election Manager no later than 5 days before the election. Voted ballots must be received by noon on Election Day or delivered in person by close of business the day before the election - and they must be accompanied by the signature of two witnesses (or a notary public) and a copy of your ID.
To find out if you are eligible to cast an absentee ballot, request a ballot, or just get more information, click here.
Voting Hours on Election DayThe polls are open from:
7:00am to 7:00pm
Please contact your state election office for additional voting information, or click here to learn more about voting absentee in your state.
What do you need to bring?
In order to vote in Alabama, all voters will need to bring a valid photo ID. The following IDs are acceptable:
Current, Valid Photo Identification
- Government-issued photo identifications (current and valid)
- Employee identification for employee with photo of employee produced by the employer
- Photo identification card issued by Alabama college or university
- Photo identification issued from Alabama technical or professional school (current and valid)
One of the following:
- Utility bill of voter with voter's name and address
- Bank statement with voter's name and address
- Government check with voter's name and address
- Paycheck with voter's name and address
- Valid identification card (authorized by law) issued by the State of Alabama (including any branch, department, agency, or entity of the State of Alabama)
- Valid identification card (authorized by law) issued by any of the other 49 states (including any branch, department, agency, or entity of that State)
- Valid identification card (authorized by law) issued by the government of the United States of America (including any branch, department, agency, or entity of the federal government
- Valid United States passport
- Valid Alabama hunting license
- Valid Alabama fishing license
- Valid Alabama pistol/revolver permit
- Valid pilot's license issued by the FAA or other authorized agency of the federal government
- Valid United States military identification
- Birth certificate (certified copy)
- Valid Social Security card
- Naturalization document (certified copy)
- Court record of adoption (certified copy)
- Court record of name change (certified copy)
- Valid Medicaid card
- Valid Medicare card
- Valid electronic benefits transfer (EBT) card
- Government document that shows the name and address of the vote
For more information, contact your state election office.